Our counselors are role models and take pride in building Wico’s 3 Cs. Counselors are at least 19 years old and have completed one year of college or university. Their energy, enthusiasm, support and teamwork create an atmosphere in which campers learn, grow and achieve. Therefore, we require our counselors to be educators who are skilled and passionate in their activity area; and above all, focused on the safety, fun and growth of each camper.
The Interview process consists of:
- Submission of a completed application
- Interview via video-conference
- Three professional references checked by a member of our full-time team
- Background screening
- Successful completion of staff training
“I absolutely love Wico and it was an amazing experience for me to come back as a counselor after being a camper. Being on the other side and having the ability to create bonds with the campers was great.”
Ongoing Training/Professional Development
Just as our campers will become more confident, gain new competencies and feel a part of our community, our staff will, as well.
Examples of ongoing professional development include:
- A 1-2 week orientation (depending on position) before campers arrive
- Assignment of small groups, lead by ambassador staff. These groups provide opportunities for our staff to connect with each other in a more intimate setting and learn/ask questions on a more personal basis.
- Weekly staff meetings with our directors
- Weekly age-group meetings led by head counselors focused on bunk dynamics, trends in child development and teamwork
- Lunch Bunches: Small meetings with random samplings of counselors led by our leadership team. These meetings provide additional on-the-job training and support to our staff.
“I absolutely loved camp more than I ever thought could be possible. I loved my campers & co-counselors. I have made friends from all over the world and still keep in touch with them. Thanks for making Wico an amazing place that I feel comfortable calling my summer home.”