Many Ways To Give Thanks This November
The changing leaves and colder temperatures of November (in the Northeast)—signal that Thanksgiving is around the corner! Speaking of, we use this blog to share suggested ways to express gratitude and to give back to our community which is one of Wico’s 3 Cs!
- Volunteer Opportunities: November is an excellent time to volunteer and contribute to local initiatives that support those in need. Many organizations, such as food backs, homeless shelters, and community centers, welcome extra hands during the holiday season. Spend a few hours this November serving meals, sorting donations, or participating in community events. Your time and effort can make a significant difference in the lives of others.
- Donate to Food Drives: For many, Thanksgiving is a cherished tradition – the gathering of friends and family around a generous meal. Unfortunately, not everyone has the means to enjoy such a special meal. Consider participating in or organizing a food drive to collect non-perishable items for families facing food insecurity to help make this Thanksgiving a special one for them!
- Support Local Businesses: Thanksgiving is an ideal time to support local businesses and vendors. Consider shopping for your holiday feast ingredients at local markets or purchasing handmade goods from local craftsmen. Not only will this contribute to the local economy but it will also help to strengthen the sense of connection in your local community.
- Express Gratitude: Take a moment to appreciate those around you! You can thank the dedicated first responders who work tirelessly to keep our local communities safe! Thank the teachers, coaches, mentors, and other adults that work every day to watch you learn and grow. Consider writing thank you cards, making baked goods or sending care packages to these leaders in your life. Your acknowledgment and appreciation will make a significant impact on those who put others first everyday!
- Donate to Charity: Donating to a charity is meaningful and impactful all year round but November is a particularly good time to give thanks to the blessings in our lives and give back to those who may be less fortunate. Choose a charity this month that is meaningful to you and help give back to your community. Camp Wicousta is very involved in Project Morry. Project Morry is a non-profit youth development organization, which offers its participants a combination of exceptional summer camp experiences, year-round academic enrichment and support, and one-on-one mentoring. Each summer, Wicosuta hosts a day one fundraising event to support this program and create an opportunity for summer camp to be accessible to all children. Thank you to all of our camp families for donating to Wico’s Project Morry Day. Together we raised almost $20,000!
- Acts of Kindness: In today’s interconnected world, generosity doesn’t need to be limited to your immediate surroundings. Use technology (or good old snail mail) to reach out to camp friends, counselors, and family to let them know you are thinking about them around Thanksgiving! A simple phone call, video chat, or message can brighten someone’s day and make them feel valued and cared for!
November is the month we traditionally gather to give thanks! As a community, lets try and carry that spirit of gratitude the entire month by volunteering, giving donations, and spreading random acts of kindness! By joining us in the ideas above, we can spread warmth and joy within our Wico community and beyond. We wish our Wico families a very Happy Thanksgiving!